Monday 8 June 2015

Suck-Teeth

So many times I feel clueless here on St. Thomas. Like I will never quite "get it" about living here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy so many people here and overall I find it pretty friendly. But when it's not friendly, there is no mistaking it.

Like at the post office. There is this one lady that works there and she is always miserable and last week she was downright mean and rude to me. For what? For being there? For being white? For having a need? I had 3 boxes to pick up. There was a mistake on my yellow slip and it only listed 2 of the tracking numbers. With a plethora of attitude, a slow saunter,  and some under-her-breath comments, she got those 2 boxes but wouldn't even look for the third. And I'm totally sure it was sitting right next to the other two.

So of course I tell my girlfriends. One asks me if she sucked her teeth at me. And although I said, "No." I started wondering... Did she suck her teeth? I don't really see people doing that. And then I came to the realization that I don't even know what teeth sucking actually looks like. Maybe people are doing it all the time and I'm just oblivious. It sure wouldn't be the first time!

So of course I ask my husband. He is the one that sees insincerity a mile away and recognizes so many things that just fly under (over?) my radar. He shows me the teeth-suck and I'm totally horrified. I have been seeing it all around! I honestly liked it better when I didn't know what it was and was oblivious to it.

And yes, she did suck her teeth.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if people do that to me in Barbados and I am oblivious to it, too? LOL But the burning question is, "Did you ever get the third parcel?" :)

    ReplyDelete